Monday 10 October 2011

Flying the Queen of the sky with Lufthansa (SIN-CGK-SIN) Part 1

Welcome to my trip report on Lufthansa's Boeing 747-400! 


Click here for part 2. 

Flight details

Carrier: Lufthansa
Flight number: LH778
Date: 6th August 2011
Routing: SIN-CGK
Seat number: 42K
Aircraft type: Boeing 747-430
My 11th ride on this aircraft type and 7th airline to have flown on B747-400.
1st time on D-ABVZ
Engines: GE CF6-80C2B1F
Date delivered: 01-02-2001
Configuration: F16C66Y270
Line number: 1264
Registration: D-ABVZ
Flight duration: 1 hr 15 mins
Scheduled departure time: 1700hrs
Actual departure time: 1750 hrs
Scheduled arrival time: 1715 hrs (Jakarta time)
Actual arrival time: 1745 hrs
FL: 370
Load factor for Y class: 60%
Departure gate: E5
Arrival gate: D5
Departure runway used: 20C
Arrival runway used: 7L


My ride: D-ABVZ 




Introduction

When Lufthansa announced they would upsize the Boeing 747-400 (Frankfurt flights) to Airbus A380-800 at the end of October, I knew I have to fly with the 747-400 again before this type was retired from the airlines. Originally SQ had plans to fly the 744 to HKG, but that plan was scrapped and flying short-haul on a 744 with LH became a priority. So it was the matter of selecting the dates. Normally I would choose the school holidays period, but this time I decide to go just before the national day. The trip would last only a day because there was nothing much to do over in Jakarta and I would rather relax in the hotel, Hotel Sheraton Bandara which I had booked for on my previous 3 trips there. So once that was set, it was to be another solo trip for me.

Booking online

The website is very easy to use, smooth and fast. No bugs at all. Like other major airlines, you get to check or change your seats and view your trip info without any problems. There are also applications for both iPhone and Andriod, so it is user-friendly and convenient for all! Rating: 9/10

Before my flight

I went to the airport early to check-in and did a bit of exploring. I will just write my report since my photos have been deleted. Anyway, check-in for Lufthansa is in Terminal 2, my least favourite among the 3. I seldom go there when I do plane spotting, especially before renovation. I went to check in my flight arrival, it was late for an unknown reason. The LH A343 flight from Munich arrived before ours. Forgot to mention this, the LH A343 will take over the SIN-CGK sector once the B747-400 is replaced by the A380. I may try that out soon. I watched the crews on my flight do some briefing, can't remember the numbers but I knew it was not a full flight, around 180 economy passengers, 7 first-class and 10 business class passengers. The numbers were around there.

                                       Cabin photos and window views
























Window shot photos 


















Onboard

Service on board was surprisingly good. The crew were professional, with smiles on their faces. I was treated very well as they gave me a warm welcome and asked me whether I would like another snack set if it was not enough for me. Even though it was only an hour of flying, I enjoyed every minute of it even when the aircraft hit an air pocket, it was still thrilling to be on the Boeing 747-400.

I went around to take some shots of the cabin, and a lot of empty seats behind. I was not the only one taking photos though. The crews were fine with us taking photos. I talked to one of the female crew and it wasn't the first time she encounters an aviation enthusiast, so she understood my love of flying. This set of the crew would do the round trip of Singapore to Jakarta, then rest a night in Singapore before returning to Frankfurt. At this point, we didn't know that this sector would, later on, be cancelled and think about this trip, I am glad to have done both of the airline's Airbus A340-300 and Boeing 747-400. 

Conclusion

I am glad I did this trip, it was money and time well spent. Lufthansa is one of the biggest airlines in the world and to be able to experience it on a 5th freedom route was just exhilarating. However, flying on an outdated 747-400 on longer routes, I need to think about it carefully. The Y class products on it aren't as good as the newer aircraft, the Airbus A380 and the Boeing 747-8I in particular. 

The crew on this board surprised me, they were outgoing and helpful and it was certainly one of my better experience on a European airline. 

Ratings:

Service : 9/10
Food: 7/10
PTV : Nil
Seat comfort: 6/10
Aircraft: 9/10
Cleanliness : 10/10
Punctuality: 5/10

Rating: A-

Thank you for reading my trip report.

Click here for part 2. 


Cheers,
Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment