Tuesday 11 October 2011

Flying the Queen of the sky with Lufthansa (SIN-CGK-SIN) Part 2

Welcome to my trip report on Lufthansa's Boeing 747-400 ride!


*Aircraft photos are credited to the respective photographers

For my part 1: Click here



My ride: D-ABVD



Carrier: Lufthansa
Flight number: LH779
Date: 8th August 2011
Routing: CGK-SIN
Seat number: 55B
Aircraft type: Boeing 747-430
My 12th ride on this aircraft type and 7th airline to have flown on B747-400.
1st time on D-ABVD
Engines: GE CF6-80C2B1F
Date delivered: 15-5-1990
Configuration: F16C66Y270
Line number: 786
Registration: D-ABVD
Flight duration: 1 hr 15 mins
FL: 380
Load factor for Y class: 70%
Departure gate: D5
Arrival gate: E5
Departure runway used: 7L
Arrival runway used: 20R

Introduction

I left the hotel quite early for the airport and just wandered around the airport until the check-in counter opened. I didn't take any photos of the airport, as I had been there before a few times.

Anyway, I felt sad that this was probably one of the last 747-400s, I was going to fly on for a long time. I will definitely miss flying the Queen of the sky.

Once boarding was announced, I went to the boarding gate and as usual, I was one of the first passengers to board the plane, this time I chose a seat at the rear which according to Seatguru.com, has the best legroom space. So if you are flying on one, choose one of the two-seaters near the rear.


 Photos of my flight experience




The snack was pretty decent. 





J class seats 









Onboard

As mentioned earlier, the rear had only 2 seats, due to the curve of the rear of the plane, hence ample leg room space as shown in the above photos. I highly recommend these seats. Seat comfort was ok, but the best though. No PTVs on this aircraft either, but they are slowly installing them on the 747-400 fleet. Later on, the 747-8 would replace them. Personally, I feel the 747-400 looks perfectly proportional, unlike the 747-8 which doesn't please my eyes. To each and his own, I guess. Service on this flight was great as well, professional and friendly. Am I just lucky to get these sets of crews? Once again, the flight went passed quickly. Enjoyed every moment of the flight. What do I enjoy most? Well, takeoff and cruising. Every aircraft especially on full load and long haul, you can tell how powerful the engines are. As for the Boeing 747-400, it is one of the most powerful 4 engines in the market, that's for sure.


Conclusion

Paid S$200 for the return trip with Lufthansa, promotion fare, yet able to claim mileage points. Initially, I used Krisflyer to earn points from fellow star alliance members and others, but I realize how stingy and lousy (sorry) this program is, so I switched over to Lufthansa and now using EVA Air's mileage card. Even though this airline is no longer flying the Boeing 747-400 or SIN-CGK-SIN route, this flight memory will always remain with me. 


Ratings:

Service : 9/10
Food: 7/10
PTV : Nil
Seat comfort: 6/10
Aircraft: 9/10
Cleanliness : 10/10
Punctuality: 5/10

Grade: A-

Thanks for reading!

Click here for my part 1. 

Cheers,
Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment